Thank goodness our little girl came through, Monday was a completely different day. She looked amazing! Her swelling had gone way down and she was OFF the ventilator. Her oxygen requirements have continued to stay much lower since the balloon was done, which we are so grateful for. The best part was we finally got to hold her, it had been over a week. They also started her back on feeds, while all this was going on she was just getting nutrition through an IV. She started at 6 ml/3 hrs, when she left the U she was up to 42 ml/3 hrs. They start pretty low and then work up to where she was to make sure she can tolerate it. Nothing has shown up on the tests so they don't know why she was so sick. We're learning that there are A LOT of unknowns in the medical world, even with how far we've come in the last decade. Today is her last day on antibiotics, thank goodness - poor little thing has gone through 14 IV's, a Pic line and an arterial line in 9 days! She is such a trooper though, way tougher than her Mom and Dad. We got flu shots the other day and we could barely handle that.
The other day I read an article given by one of the leaders in our church. He said something that hit both Wayne and I strongly. There were times this past week that I just plead with God to fix things, because it seemed as though we were going to lose our daughter if He didn't do something right then and there. I just kept praying, "God I know you're here, I just need to see you" over and over again. This quote has helped me as I look back on what we went through and has brought us both comfort.
"Whenever these moments of our extremity come, we must not succumb to the fear that God has abandoned us or that He does not hear our prayers. He DOES hear us. He DOES see us. He DOES love us. When we are in dire circumstances and want to cry, "Where art Thou?" it is imperative that we remember He is right there with us -- where He has always been! We must continue to believe, continue to have faith, continue to pray and plead with heaven, even if we feel for a time our prayers are not heard and that God has somehow gone away. He IS there. Our prayers ARE heard. And when we weep He and the angels of heaven weep with us. - Jeffrry R. Holland"
As I wept for my little girl, it was such a blessing to know God and the angels of Heaven wept we me...I didn't feel so alone.
Through all this Kaelyn has still managed to put one weight, she's now 5 lb 10 oz! (And thats after the 300 gms she lost due to all the swelling)
Now for pictures of our little sweety and her simple nasal cannula and feeding tube!
20 comments:
Beautiful post Jeana, you really got me with this one. Kaelyn is beatiful. I love you guys and keep praying that things will keep getting better and better.
I LOVE that quote by Jeffrey R. Holland. Beautifully said. She looks fabulous!
That girl is throwing you curveballs already. I'm sorry to say that they like to scare us sometimes. I'm glad she came out of it quickly and still extubated. Maybe home soon?
We wanted to come up and say hi yesterday but I just didn't have enough time. They took forever getting him extubated but I was afraid to leave the waiting room that I would miss the call, so I stayed down there.
Oh my goodness...I am so sorry that you have had to endure another scare with sweet Kaelyn. Another test of faith...as if you need any more tests. But once again, her feistiness brings her through. I, too, had really started to think that she was out of the woods and was shocked when I read the beginning of your post. I will continue to pray for that sweet girl to grow stronger and stay well. Hang in there mom and dad!!! Thanks for the pictures of her. I love seeing her face!!!
Oh, she looks great!! So glad we got to see you a few times. Glad that we're home, too. Your miracle is next!
Funny you mentioned the flu shots. Did you get them at the outpatient clinic at PCMC? Steve & I got ours there Tuesday - I don't remember my arm ever aching so much from a flu shot. As I was whining, I looked over at Max and had to laugh at myself and my little 'Crayola' band-aid on my shoulder. You're so right - these kiddos are way tougher than us!
Oh I am so sorry to hear it was a rough weekend. I am so glad to hear she is doing much better. We will definitely keep her in our prayers. I love the quote by Jeffrey R. Holland - it is so true and is a great reminder to me. I can remember those endless NICU days and wondering if and when Carter would ever come home - and then wondering too if our prayers were being heard. It is not an easy road - but one that is worth taking.
Carter has the early surgery tomorrow (8:15 am) so we will be up at the hospital all day - I'll call you tomorrow and maybe we can come and visit - I would love to meet your little miracle.
Wonderful photos! She's really adorable.
Oh she's keeping you on your toes. What a scare, my goodness. She is absolutely gorgeous I love the pictures. God bless you all
That is too bad she had a set back. But, am also glad she seems to be pulling through. Those little ones are sure fighters. I too, love that quote by Elder Holland.
I can't believe how adorable she is getting. Look at those chubby cheeks! It's so nice to see her with just the oxygen and the feeding tube. As always, I'll continue to keep little Kaelyn in my prayers.
How beautiful she looks!!! As I started off reading your post I could feel myself getting goosebumps out of fear, but as I read on what a relief to hear she did a real turn around. I shall keep praying for God to give you your strength and for Kaelyn to get stronger and stronger with each day and not to give you any more scares!!
Scary! I am sorry to hear you had such a rough weekend! But glad to hear all is well and Kaelyn is still fighting! Loved the quote! We will keep you in our prayers!
wow! what a roller coaster ride! Phew!!! Wayne and Jeana, she is so beautiful, what a trememdous gift you two were given. Give her lots of kisses for us! Oh, and tell Kaelyn to stop being a bad baby.
Aw--I'm glad she pulled through and that she is gaining weight. What a rough weekend for you. You are remembered always in our prayers. She is beautiful!
I'm sorry for all the scares but she proves to all of us everyday just how strong she is. Children are amazing. I tihnk about you guys often and pray for you every day. I can't believe how big she is getting. She has come so far!
She is one little trooper and so cute. What a scare and yet we know God had his hands on her. I love the quote from Jeffrey Holland...beautiful.
{{{{{HUGS}}}}}
Oh my goodness, little Kaelyn has gotten so big! It has been several weeks since I have had a chance to catch up on blogs. I hardly recognised her. She looks so darling! I'm so glad to hear she is doing better. Hopefully there are no more scary days like Sunday.
Hang in there! After the rough patches of our life the good stretches look all the better! I remember many moments of almost extubating our son and how excited we were and then only to find out he needed to keep it for awhile longer.
Now two years later I can tell you it's sheer joy and the medical stuff is only a dark past. Stay strong. It get's better.
"Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you." 1 Peter 5:7
What a scare! I know that feeling...you leave one day thinking all is well only to be knocked down again! But the quote is so true and so beautiful...He is always there and He loves you guys so much. Through all of this you are to learn something, you are to know more fully something and there will be people brought into your lives that you would never have known without this expereince, people that will be etnernal friends! Hang in there, and know our prayers are with you always!
Post a Comment