
A few nights before Kaelyn was born, Wayne and I went shopping. Shopping for fabric. It was a task I had on my to do list for weeks, but couldn't bring myself to do it. You see there is a lady that makes teddy bears out of special material for families who have babies that pass away. We spent over an hour looking through hundreds of fabrics, trying to find the perfect one for our daughters bear, in case she didn't make it. We finally decided on a very softy fluffy light green material. We took it up to the counter to be cut. We weren't sure how much we would need and we told the lady working that we were going to be making a baby blanket for our daughter. She kept insisting that there wasn't enough fabric left on the roll to make a baby blanket. Not quite sure how to respond I just told her it was for a very small baby. To that she replied, "They get bigger".
It felt so surreal, the whole experience, like it wasn't really us in that fabric store, facing the fact that our daughter, the little girl still alive inside of me, might not live very long, if at all. I just wanted the lady in the fabric store to understand. To just give us the fabric we would need and let us go on our way. But she couldn't understand, how could she? How could anyone understand what was going on in our minds - in our hearts, when we didn't even understand it ourselves?
Five months ago it was if our world came crashing down on us, like everything we knew/expected was gone and we were left alone in the dark. The world around us kept moving forward while ours stood still. It was such a relief the day that little miss Kaelyn was born, she was here with us, we didn't have to wonder if that day would come anymore. Now we're on a different journey, one that is still very hard, but with that little girl by our side we know we can continue on, to push forward and face whatever comes our way.
That piece of green fabric is now covering her crib at home, waiting for her. But it will have to patient, just like us. It will have to wait until her little body is ready to come home. As I look at that piece of material tonight I'm grateful it isn't being used the way it was intended. That we have found a different use for it, a better use. A constant reminder of how far we've come, and how far we have yet to go.
Baby girl, we are so glad you are here, that I believe was the first step in your miraculous journey. When I get sad and want you to be here with me, sitting in the rocking chair in your room, I will remember to have faith and know that this time in your precious life will soon be finished and we'll be onto the next, here in your room, at home.
-Mom
22 comments:
Oh Jeana....that was beautiful!!! Way to give me a last cleansing cry right before I head to bed. I can't wait for her to be in her home with you either. I pray for patience for you both as you wait for that day...when she is ready.
Beautiful Jeana, soon, she will be home soon and all yours to hold.You made it through the hardest part. The unknown, not knowing is the scariest.I can't wait until this is all in the past for you all, but until then we are here to lend our love and support and most of all our prayers. Kisses to Kaelyn
Jeana, that is such a touching post. Made me cry. I love you and Kaelyn SO much!
Beautiful post
Okay, now I have to run and get the Kleenex. Precious are these words Jeanna. Absolutely precious as is your little one. Hugs..
Before you know it Kaelyn will be home.This seemingly unending,difficult time will fall to the wayside and seem to be a lifetime ago.What you will be left with is one amazing, and yes,very miraculous little girl,who's courageous journey showed you the true meaning of life,love,faith and unending hope.Beautiful post for your beautiful girl.
I am so thankful that that fabric didn't meet its intended use! I'm sure you long for the day when Kaelyn is home and snuggling up with that soft green fabric. THAT will be an amazing picture!
Like everyone else... that brought me to tears. You have such amazing faith. How could you not. Your sweet Kaelyn is a precious blessing from Heavenly Father! I pray that you will be able to hold her in your arms at home soon!
First, I am also glad that you didn't have to use the fabric for the reason you purchased it. I totally understand going into your baby's room and wishing she was in there instead of in the hospital. She'll be home before you know it. This too shall pass. Second, I am glad that she is gaining weight, she looks good! Hope all is going well.
What a beautiful post! I agree with all the other comments and wanted to add: The nurses kept telling me that even though the time in the hospital felt like FOREVER, that once Ellie got to come home, the next 105 days (# of days in hospital with Ellie) would fly by. They were soooo right! I just realized that she's now been home a year - WOW!!! Kaelyn will be home soon and time will fly so enjoy each day! :)
:)
What a beautiful post. We weren't sure Antalya was going to live. My way of coping was to put all the baby gear and clothes in a storage unit. I hated baby showers because I didn't want anyone to give me gifts that would never be used by the little baby growing inside me. It was such a glorious day when we finally brought all the baby things out of storage and got her room ready for the day she would leave the hospital and come home with us.
Hang in there. Soon enough this phase will be just memories and you'll be rocking little Kaelyn to sleep and putting her down in her own crib.
That was such a beautiful post Jeana. Wow! I still have goosebumps. I am so glad that the piece of fabric isn't being used for the intended purpose either. You have such an amazing little fighter there and she will show you that things will be done her way for many many many years to come. Oh, and good luck with that! Because, when she is two, and behaving like a two year old, you are going to think back to these days and wonder how you ever thought she wasn't going to make it. :)
I now need to get a box of tissue. You are an amazing mother. We thought for about 4 hours that Sam wouldn't make it and I barely made it through those 4 hours, you are so much stronger then I am. When Sam was born I didn't care that he had DS, I was just so glad he was there and breathing. He was only 4lbs 3 oz, seems big compared to Kaelyn. It will be a beautiful day when she gets to come home. Hang in there, you are in all our prayers.
Jeana--your family is in our prayers all the time. We're so glad you have found another use for that blanket too! Time goes so slow in difficult moments. You are amazing!
Crying my eyes out. You are one strong woman Jeana! I am glad Kaelyn is here and fighting so hard.
So sweet. I saw the necklace's that you sent to Heather, they are beautiful. They came that night that we visited them, she called me on my way home and told me about them. Their very sweet.
Kaelyn is so strong...she is a figther, like all our special kiddos...I think Heavenly Father gave them extra strong determination, gave them so much courage to fight on, to complete their journey while blessing so many. Kaelyn has already blessed so many! Stay strong, look toward tomorrow, Kaelyn - we love you!
That's beautiful post. thank you for sharing your story.
that was so precious and heartbreaking, jeana. My heart goes out to you. I decided to check your blog a few weeks ago and found you had already had kaelyn. I've been pouring over all of your posts here on her blog. She is amazing and adorable and a fighter and miracle all the way! I have loved looking at all of her pictures. There is something so special about kaelyn. I can see it: ) I'm sorry you have had to go through all you have in e past months. I'm sorry you have had to feel and experience all you have. But if anyone can do this, you and wayne can. I'm praying for you and that beautiful precious girl of yours. Take care Jeana: )
Jeana,
Hi, my name is Amy and I'm new to your blog. What an absolutely beautiful, inspiring post! Thank you so much for sharing that with us. It is truly a gift we will all cherish. Positive thoughts and prayers are headed your way. I hope she is home wrapped up in that fabric before too long.
Jeana that was the sweetest post I have EVER read before! Kaelyn is so lucky to have you and your husband and you are equally lucky to have her...heck the WHOLE WORLD is lucky just to get to read about your experiences and witness her beautiful little face!! Mandy
Post a Comment