Thursday, August 20, 2009

8-20-09

I just realized last night how long it has been since our last post. Really there isn't a whole lot to report. They have done a couple of more echos on Kaelyn and don't see any pulmonary hypertension, which is good. So, now they are trying to wean her off of the Nitric Oxide that she has been on. It's going to be a pretty slow process, but a good step in the right direction. We are really hoping that she can get the cpap off her face soon. We can tell that she has changed a lot and are worried that we won't recognize her when they do take it off. We will definitely put up some pics when it happens though. Other than that she is doing quite well. She keeps gaining weight, which is one of the most important things right now. She is now a whopping 2 kilograms (almost 4 1/2 lbs.). She needs to get to the 5 kilo mark before they will even consider the serious open-heart surgery to repair her AV canal defect.

The other day I was listening to the radio, a country station. Up until a friend gave us George Strait tickets (THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!), I would say that I liked any type of music but country. Then the concert happened and I will hesitantly admit that country music is growing on me. Anyways, I was listening to country radio and an awesome song came on. I don't think I could ever write a song that so perfectly explains what is going on in Jeana's and my life. So, here are the lyrics, also you can listen to it with the music player on the right hand side. It is by the one and only George Strait:

--------------

I just walked down the street to the coffee shop
had to take a break
I'd been by her side for eighteen hours straight
I saw a flower growing in the middle of the sidewalk
pushing up through the concrete
like it was planted right there for me to see
the flashin' lights, the honkin' horns
all seemed to fade away
in the shadow of that hospital at 5:08
I saw God today

Chorus:
I've been to church
I've read the book
I know He's here, but I don't look
near as often as I should
Yeah, I know I should
His fingerprints are everywhere
I'd just slow down to stop and stare
opened my eyes and man I swear
I saw God today

I saw a couple walking by they were holding hands
Man, she had that glow
yeah I couldn't help but notice she was starting to show
I stood there for a minute takin' in the sky
lost in that sunset
a splash of amber melted in the shades of red

Chorus

I got my face pressed up against the nursery glass
She's sleeping like a rock
My name on her wrist wearing tiny pink socks
She's got my nose, she's got her mama's eyes
My brand new baby girl
She's a miracle
I saw God today

--------------

Now for a couple of clarifications, I don't drink coffee, but there is a Starbucks in the hospital where Kaelyn was born and Jeana and I spent 5 days. Next, Kaelyn has Jeana's nose and we still don't know whose eyes. So that line will have to be changed. Other than that, it's spot on.

Now for some pics:

Kaelyn in the first onesie she wore



We decided we'd better start dressing her in her premie clothes because we aren't sure when she will come home and wanted to make sure that she got to wear them before she out-grew them

15 comments:

Annie said...

I'm so happy to hear that things are going well - she is so cute!!!!

Please let us know if you need anything.

Annie and Ross (The next door neighborhs)

Emily said...

Oh my goodness... (with tears streaming down my face) I don't listen to country, but that song is beautiful!
She is such a princess!

Heather said...

She is getting so big and looks so grown up in her onesie.I am certain she'll be off cpap in no time ... after all we are talking about Kaelyn!The song is beautiful and the words are perfect.As is your little love.Package arrived.Made me cry.I'll be emailing you.Love to the feisty one.

Tausha said...

Wow, that is an amazing song, thanks for sharing. She is a fighter and I'm so glad she is gaining weight and getting stronger.

Kristin said...

Love the monkey onesie! She looks so great. Can't wait to meet her in person :)
Good to know about the hallway link between the U and PCMC - thanks.

Kristin said...

Just looked again - is that a mouse on the onesie? whichever - cute either way :)

Rebecca said...

She looks wonderful! So different from when I first started reading your blog. I will have to look up that George Strait song. Sounds like just what I need to hear right about now. TFS!

Mike and Christy said...

I knew you'd come around to the country eventually, everyone does sooner or later. They just have to hear one song that touches thier heart. I actually think of you guys everytime I hear that song.

Stephanie said...

Yup,George is a winner, can't go wrong with George.
Kaelyn looks great, she's packing on the weight! She's a chunky monkey!

Denise said...

I am a huge country music fan.....and for this very reason. I know people like to make fun of some of the songs, but more than not, they have very meaningful lyrics. I have heard this song a million times and almost every time, it brings tears to my eyes. It makes me stop and think about life every time I hear it...and to appreciate every moment!! I can't believe how big Kaelyn is getting. I am so proud of this little girl that I have never met. And I know I am among the many that can't wait to see that face of hers!!! Again, it was so great to meet you guys. I have talked about you to many people as we traveled the country on our road trip!!!

Shelly Turpin said...

She is getting so big - yeah, go girl! i love her onesie. So sweet. The Nitric can take forever to get off of, but it happens eventually. The hardest part for us is the last little bit as they wean it off. Hang in there! I'm always so excited when I see a new post. Hoping from afar...

Kristen's mom said...

She looks so darling. Those country music lyrics can really hit it. Everytime I hear "Skin" by Rascall Flatts I am brought to tears. I know Kristen never went to prom but I know those feelings of waiting in the docs office waiting for test results and I know Kristen hates losing her hair. Whenever I see a bald child from chemo I get a lump in my throat. I know how overwhelming it can be having a child in the hospital for months. I have learned that living one day at a time can truly be a blessing. Kaelyn is blessed to have you as parents.

Nat said...

Country music isn't so bad. I also love that song. Congrats on the weight gain! I hope things continue to go well!

Lacey said...

Glad everything is quiet. I've been so out of touch being out of town.

Scrappy quilter said...

What a beautiful song for such a little princess. And yes, I see God everytime I see her picture. She is so cute. Hugs and thanks for the update. And wow, 4 1/2 lbs. Great job Kaelyn