Friday, February 19, 2010

Update - Day 3 Post-Op

Kaelyn is doing pretty good. Yesterday she developed an arrhythmia (her lower chambers were not pumping) in her heart, so they had to use the pacers that they had set up to her heart. They said that is pretty common with heart surgery and that it is usually related to swelling in the heart that disrupts the conduction pathway. Thankfully it went away today and now she is off the pacers and her heart is doing all the work by herself.

She is still on the ventilator and it sounds like she will be for a few more days. She has been a little more awake and alert but they are trying to keep her comfortable. People keep asking how long we will be in the hospital, but we don't really know. It really just depends on how she does so we are just taking it one day at a time :)

She certainly is a little fighter, my hero. I'm so proud to be her mother (Wayne is so proud to be her father, too [added by Wayne during the proof read]). Thanks again for all the love, support and prayers. They have helped our little family more than we will ever know. The other day I was out on a run and I had the thought, "I hope in the next life I can look back on the last year of our life and see all the angels and family members who have passed that were helping our little girl through all this." I know she is in good hands and I also know that Heavenly Father is close by. When we first found out that Kaelyn had Down syndrome I read a talk by a leader of our church about children with special needs. He quoted a hymn that I have grown to love and often repeat the first line. "Dearest children God is near you, watching over you day and night." My plan is to make a cute saying board with that on it and hang it in Kaelyn's room. It has brought me so much peace and comfort through all of this.

Also I read this little story the other day and I just thought it was so cute.

"Sister Seamons also told of a particularly humorous event that happened when Brad was a young boy sitting with his parents at a ward banquet with the bishop and his wife and their precocious seven-year-old son Jake. At a certain point Jake looked at Brad and said, “Hey kid, you look kind of funny, what’s your problem?” Jake’s parents, of course, were mortified, but Brad’s mom intervened assuring them that it was all right for him to question Brad. This time Jake asked his question a little more quietly, “Well, what is your problem?” Brad looked squarely at Jake and said, “I have Down Syndrome and Heavenly Father knows it—what’s your problem?” Everyone at the table melted into laughter and Jake replied, “Well, if Heavenly Father knows about it, it must be cool!”"

I just love that. Heavenly Father DOES know it and is well aware of the needs of His little ones.

16 comments:

Lacey said...

One day at a time, thats right, she'll come home when she's ready! I need to come up and visit! Glad she's doing so well.

Rebecca said...

Not only does He know, He knit her together that way & made her wonderfully!

Glad she is on the mend :>)

Unknown said...

Baby steps. She'll get there in her own time. Sounds as if she is doing quite well though.

Angi said...

I love that little "story" you quoted..glad Kaelyn is plugging along at her own little speed. Hope she can be home soon:)

Justin and Toshi said...

Super cute story! Glad to hear Kaelyn is doing well! I love reading your posts - Kaelyn truly has remarkable parents! Our Father in Heaven knew such an amazing little girl would need such an awesome family! We miss you guys and keep a prayer in our hearts for your cute family!

Storys said...

Yeah!! We are glad she is doing so well. She is a fighter, and Heavenly Father knows it!! Let me know if I can help you with your sign. I can bring the cricut over one day! Luv from all of us!

Meghann said...

What a great story! I'm so happy Kaelyn is doing well. We'll keep her and your little family in our prayers!

p.s. I always cry when I read your blog (good tears), thanks for sharing your faith :)

Emily said...

I am so glad to hear that she is doing well! I absolutely LOVE that hymn and enjoyed that cute story! We'll miss you at this upcoming playgroup and can't wait until you can join us in the future!

Heather said...

I left a big old comment and have no idea where it went....it went something like this:Thanks so much for the update.And Miss Kaelyn... Slow and Steady little one.That mantra has served some other chromosomally enhanced fighters well.I am certain it will you also.


Zoey had the pacer issue as too.Cleared up in no time.Minor glitch.

I am so excited for you all to see her as she heals.. even in these beginning days.Her eyes will look brighter.Her coloring will look better.Her energy will pick up.Her milestones will come one after another.It is just magical to watch the change.A gift of a perfect heart.We call Zoey's heart repair day her "second birthday".Zoey never,not once, cried,the first five months of her life before surgery.They extubate her and there was her cry.Music to my ears.5 days after her heart surgery... her first smile ever.Magical.A miracle.I am so excited for you guys to see the change.I cannot wait to watch from the sidelines.Prayers continue in California.

traci miller said...

Cute Jeana! I really wish I could get motivated and start running... I still have this baby weight to lose! I'm glad little miss K is doing well!

Kristin said...

Glad she's doing well. See ya tomorrow :)

Erin said...

So happy for you guys! Way to go, Kaelyn!!! What a miracle! I was reading the post about Zoey...it's funny because Ellie's first smile was 5 days after her surgery too! It was the best moment EVER! So get ready! With a mended heart, she will bring you so many more wonderful moments than ever before. Congratulations!!!

Alan Anderson said...

I'm so glad she is doing well! You will notice a difference - she will become a different girl! I love the song - what a great sign to hand in a bedroom - a constant reminder that Heavenly Father is always with us.

And the story is cute - made me laugh!

Unknown said...

Glad your little sweety is doing well. She's in my prayers for a quick recovery.

Lacey said...

Ugh I'm sorry she may have to be reintubated. It sounds like they pulled chest tubes out too soon, its only been a few days. I know the big one can usually come out first, but the two smaller ones on the side usually take a little longer. We will be up there on Wednsday for a doctors appointment. I would love to come see her, but I will have Jax with me and I know right now they won't let him go back.

Anonymous said...

I haven't been on the blog for a few weeks. Wow, Kaelyn gets bigger and even cuter with each picture. Congrats on the blog award. Love and miss you all! Be well. Joyce W.