Friday, July 3, 2009

7-3-09


First and foremost, the echo results are in, and ........................................................... no significant change is the verdict. So, they didn't have anything new to tell us. The past couple of days have been pretty uneventful, which is perfectly fine with us. She is now up to full feeds (4 oz. a day) and tolerating them really well.

There's the technical stuff. Now on to the fun/cute stuff. A couple of days ago Jeana and I were holding her when the time for her cares came up. The first part of cares is done of by me. I check her temperature by lifting up her arm and stick a thermometer into her armpit. She usually tries to fight it a bit and it's obvious that she isn't to happy with me while I'm doing it. But, the other day, she was not happy at all. While Jeana was holding her I started my procedure and she resisted as much as possible. I stuck the thermometer into her armpit and then she YELLED at me for it. OK, maybe it was just a cry, but it sure seemed like she was mad at me :-) Pretty sweet, for now at least, I'm sure it won't be when she's a teenager.

Next, last night, Mom got to do her first hair-do. Kaelyn used to have an IV in her forehead that was taped on. Since they took it off, she has had some of the sticky stuff from the tape stuck in her hair, and Jeana got to wash it out. While she was at it she took the time to comb her hair and make it look extra pretty.

Last but certainly not least, one day when we walked in, I flipped the blanket off her isolet and said something like "hey sweetie" and gave her a wave. Immediately after that she lifted up her hand and, I kid you not, she waved back! The nurse and Jeana looked at me with complete shock and there faces. I, of course, was not shocked at all. That's my girl!

16 comments:

Denise said...

Daddy...I just love how proud you are of your little girl. And I love how you are the one who writes the blog. It is nice to hear things from a daddy's perspective!! I am so excited to hear that she is doing so well!!

Lacey said...

So sweet. She is such a fighter. Its amazing how much these little guys can take. Jax continues to amaze me with his strength. Quiet days are fabulous in the NICU.

Heather said...

Your girl is absolutely amazing and she is such a miracle.I smile each and every time I come by.It fills me with such joy when I see,once again, the fitting,resilient spirit in these children.Have a great weekend and enjoy each and every moment with your girl.

Marielle said...

What an amazing story. I love the picture!

Stephanie said...

She is amazing, She's taking 4 oz's. What a good girl. Happy 4th to you and Jeana and you lttle firecracker!!!!

Dawn said...

Good to hear. She's beautiful I'll keep her in my prayers everyday.

Rebecca said...

Wow! Go Kaelyn! What a little fighter. So glad for the good news :>)

Scrappy quilter said...

What a precious picture and a little trooper. She is one incredible miracle.

Caryn said...

I had a great time talking to you on the third. I hope the weekend went well too! We love you and keep praying. Thanks for the updates.

Ben telford said...

Wow what a cute girl. We will keep all of you in our prayers and are very happy to see that she is doing well. Wayne you look like a good dad.

Kacey Bode said...

I just found your blog....what a cutie Feisty Kaelyn is!! I LOVE that she is FEISTY!!! I will definetly be checking in often!

The Lehnick Family said...

I just found your blog as well and want to say what a little miracle you have...I would love to follow your blog and watch little Kaelyn grow! She is so sweet! It is an amazing journey to be on with a little angel who has Down syndrome...our youngest is 14 months with Down syndrome and has been nothing but a blessing!

Mike and Christy said...

I think you may be in trouble when this girl gets older! Thanks for sharing the fun stuff too! I want to see pictures of her cute hairdo.

Qadoshyah said...

I just found your blog. Congratulations on your beautiful daughter! She is adorable and I hope everything goes smooth and she continues to be a fiesty little girl.

Qadoshyah
Sister to a WONDERFUL 4 yr old boy with DS
qf @ gotdownsydnrome.net (remove spaces)

www.gotdownsyndrome.net/Book/whatyoucandobook.html

Christina said...

Hi, I found your blog and wanted to post a note about congenital heart defects.

My son Jacob is 2 years old now and was born with a heart defect: Transposition of the Great Arteries (d-TGA). We did not know before he was born and he had to be emergency transfered to Primary Children's Medical Center. He had open heart surgery at Primary's when he was 5 days old.

I am part of a local non-profit support group called Intermountain Healing Hearts. I do not know if anyone there at Primary's has talked to you about our group. We have over 175 families with children who have various CHD and even some CHD adults in the group! What a blessing it has been to be able to talk with and ask questions of other “heart families” who truly understand what your family is going through.

The group website is: www.IntermountainHealingHearts.org
We also have a Forum for discussion/email exchange: http://ihhforum.org/forum/

We would love to have you join our group. Please let me know if we can be of help to your family in anyway.

Christina Davis
christina@intermountainhealinghearts.org
www.jacobsheart.blogspot.com

Auntie Shaunie said...

Jeana and Wayne,
Looks like you three are doing well.
We love you and you are in our thoughts EVERY DAY.
I'll get grandma back for the shower.
Love shauna