Friday, January 22, 2010

No, We're Not "Hanging In There"


Don't be alarmed. Allow me to explain the title of this post. Over the past few weeks Jeana and I have had a few people tell us to "hang in there." After talking to them about Kaelyn, and them noticing that she needs oxygen and has a feeding tube taped to her face, they decided to say goodbye by telling us to "hang in there." We know that they are being nice and want to wish us well, but we are just confused at what exactly they mean by "hang in there." Hang in there to what? We are living the dream! Sure Kaelyn has some needs that others don't but that doesn't mean that we aren't happy, or that having her is a constant struggle. I'm sure that anybody that has had a child with special needs knows exactly what we are talking about, but for those of you that don't, perhaps a little bit of background will help you understand what we mean. Here goes.

Jeana and I tried for a while to get pregnant, so you can imagine the exciting joy we felt when we finally found out that we were expecting Kaelyn. At the 20 week ultrasound we found out that Kaelyn most likely had one of three things. Trisomy 18, Trisomy 13, and Trisomy 21. We were told that Trisomy 21 is also known as Down Syndrome, and that the other two are almost always fatal. In less than 10 mins. we went from being super excited that we were having a baby girl to devastated that she might not even be born alive. We decided to do an amniocentesis to find out exactly which of the three she had. Of course, the results didn't come in for a week. So, that week was a bit of a struggle and, in complete honesty, we were hoping that she would have Down Syndrome and she did.

Throughout the rest of the pregnancy the outlook for Kaelyn kept getting gloomier and gloomier. There were times and discussions that Jeana and I had to have that no parent should ever have to have. So, you can imagine the intense joy that we felt when Kaelyn was born alive and doing quite well. Sure she was 2 months early, weighed just over 1 1/2 pounds, had a major heart defect, and had Down Syndrome. But, none of that mattered. Our baby girl was finally here.

Then we spent 3 1/2 months in the NICU. What a ride. We are both big fans of roller coasters but the NICU coaster isn't one that were running to get back in line to ride again. So, you can imagine the wonderful joy that we felt the first day we were able to bring Kaelyn home and have her with us all day.

Since then, things keep getting better and better. Yes, she had the swine flu, a couple of colds, ear tubes, and will have open-heart surgery in a month, but none of that matters. We are living the dream! So, when people tell us to "hang in there" we get confused. Kaelyn never has and never will be a trial. We know there are more ups and downs to come, but we look forward to those moments of joy that will follow each one.

Now, enjoy some new pictures:


Loving daddy's kisses

"Where's my chips and salsa? I'm ready for the game"


"Just checking myself out on mommies computer"

Baby picture of Jeana

"So what do you think, do I look like my mommy?"

"Please mom, no more pictures"

31 comments:

Annie said...

Thank you for this post. It was great to read and that baby of yours is beautiful.

Beth said...

Great post. It's amazing how much Down syndrome doesn't matter a bit, isn't it?

I have a favor to ask--I think that you are the guy who makes the buttons for kids who are having a hard time medically. I've got a friend who blogs and her daughter with Ds was just diagnosed with leukemia today. If you are willing and able to help make a button for Lois, please let me know. My email is on my blog.

Thanks.

Rebecca said...

Hmmm. I know what you mean. I think the same is true for living after loss, in a way. I FEEL more alive than I ever have before because I have seen death. So even though things are difficult, I don't just want to 'hang in there', I wan to LIVE!

Keep living STRONG Kaelyn!!
(and Mommy & Daddy too)

Emily said...

I LOVE that post! I agree with you all the way! What a blessing it is...

Stephanie said...

I recently got an e-mail from a dad of a 35 year old daughter who happens to have Ds. He told us we were in for the ride of a lifetime!
I pass that on to you.
It's going to be great!!!!

And yes!! Miss Kaelyn looks just like Mom!!! Just lovely!

Kristin said...

What a great post. Sorry Max had to get a cold and keep you away from the playdate. But we need Kaelyn healthy for her surgery!!! We never got the "hang in there", but people gave me the "you must be crazy" look when I told them we 'wanted' to adopt a baby with Ds, and then more crazy looks when we were 'excited' to finally have an open heart surgery date!

CROW said...

Hey! First of all...I can't believe I missed the blessing. I feel so out of the loop. I need to come visit. hahaa sounds like a road trip when I live a stinkin' 10 minutes away...if that. I miss you guys. I love the second pic...ahaha
I already have a story that I need to tell Kaelyn...the one about the rice cake diet...ahahha she'll get a kick out of it.
p.s. hang in there. ;)

Lacey said...

I think the worst comment I got when telling someone about Jax was, oh I'm sorry. Sorry about what? Look at him, he's beautiful. Yeah you hate to see them have to go through surgeries, but they do it so beautifully. And they smile the whole time!

Kristen's mom said...

I love the pictures. She is so cute in Jeana's dress. We will probably be in the hospital when she has her surgery. We'll have to meet for some hot chocolate.

Heather said...

I have always said:Don't feel sorry for us.Don't pity us.Be envious of us.Be jealous in fact.We have been blessed.All of us.In ways that only we could know and in ways we could never,ever explain.

Kaelyn is getting so big and more beautiful with each passing day.

Love from us here in California.A family that has ridden the coaster,with all it's wild twists and turns and look ... we are here and happy and can say life is indeed beautiful.

Scrappy quilter said...

Wonderful post. She is a little beauty. And wow she is growing so fast. continued prayers for her coming surgery. Hugs

Anonymous said...

I love your inclusions of photos! Kaelyn gets cuter and cuter every time I capture this site. Thanks for sharing your thoughts and all the visuals.

Love,
Dari

Tausha said...

What a refreshing post. We too, right before Sam was born were told that he could have the other ones, the 18 or 13 so when he was born with 21 we were relieved. Also, I placed a little girl up for adoption 5 years prior in the same hospital, so I was so grateful that this time I was able to walk out of that hospital with a baby, no matter what he had and no matter what we had to deal with. You guys are awesome!!!

Cluttered Brain said...

Aww! I've been following updates through Caryn your sister. She showed me this website. I just want you to know Kaelyn is a beautiful girl and aren't we lucky that we get to take care of God's children?
This is what I am grateful for everyday.
Happy Sunday!

Cluttered Brain= Alexes Covington In case you didn't know! ;)(I'm Caryn's sister in law.)

Unknown said...

Love the post. I know exactly what you mean.

Saundi said...

I wish that we lived closer so that we and our girls could hang out. Hope everything continues to go well for you guys.

Erin said...

Wonderful post...we "second" everything you said. Kaelyn is looking so awesome!!!

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful little princess.

Thinking of you as she heads towards her heart surgery, please get in touch if we can help at all.

Down's Heart Group www.dhg.org.uk

Mama Mason-Mann said...

Amen to that! We are blessed with a baby with Ds too! Yes, there are ups and downs but the ups are quite amazing. Thanks for sharing and I LOVE the pics (as always). She's so beautiful.

Kristin said...

P.S. I gave you an award on my blog :)

Sheryl said...

Well said--she's a blessing and sure a cute one at that!

Meghann said...

I'm crying, but have no words. You said it perfectly!

Mike and Christy said...

Amen to everything. Thank you for once again putting everything in perspective for me. You both are amazing! I love her smile. She just keeps getting cuter and cuter. (but not cuter than Braxton, no matter what Lexi says!!) Love you guys. Can't wait to snuggle her again!

Angi said...

I have followed your blog since right after Kaelyn's birth...you two were chosen to be her parents and I think it was a beautiful match...always glad to hear how well she is doing, praying for her to stay strong and healthy for her heart surgery!!

Anonymous said...

Great, great, great post!!!!

Adam and Michelle Bradbury said...

Your little family is so wonderful and we are happy to be included with three amazing people.

She is beautiful!!!

Becca said...

Wow, Kaelyn is beautiful!!! Congratulations! Where is she having her OHS? Samantha's was at Children's Hospital of Philly. It's amazing how quickly out little ones can bounce back, too. I hope she's doing well!

Sandra said...

I hope that everything is going well and I wanted to stay that Kaelyn is beautiful and she has a very pretty name =)

ParkerMama said...

Living the dream! I LOVE it. I so happy things are going so well for all of you.

Keep up the amazing work, Kaelyn!

Kristin said...

Praying for you tomorrow! There's another little guy, Mason, up in the PICU - had a heart transplant yesterday. Check out his blog... http://masonbear.blogspot.com

Brittney said...

I found your blog on a friend's blog. I hope that's okay. I actually really loved this post and have recently had conversations with my husband about how he and I would feel having a child who had Down Syndrome. We talked about the same things you wrote about. How we wouldn't want people to feel sorry for us because we would consider it the greatest blessing EVER to have one of those special spirits in our home. We would feel so lucky and blessed. Thanks for writing that post.