Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Perfection


I borrowed this from a blog friend. It brought tears to my eyes.


"As a small group of political and church leaders look on,
Jesus lifts a mentally handicapped child out of her high chair, kisses her and sits her on his knee. He dips a crust of bread in wine and feeds it to her, morsel by morsel.
As he does so, Jesus says:"I know what you are thinking. You need a sign. What better one could I give than to make this little one whole and new?
I could do it; but I will not.
I am the Lord and not a conjurer.
I gave this mite a gift I denied all of you -- eternal innocence.
To you she looks imperfect
But to me she is flawless,
Like the bud that dies unopened or the fledgling that falls from the nest to be devoured by ants. She will never offend me, as all of you have done.
She will never pervert or destroy the work of {my} hands.
She is necessary to you.
She will evoke the kindness that will keep you human.
Her infirmity will prompt you to gratitude for your own good fortune...More!
She will remind you that every day I am who I am, that my ways are not your ways and that the smallest dust mote whirled in the darkest space does not fall out of my hand...
I have chosen you.
You have not chosen me.
This little one is my sign to you.
Treasure her!"


The Sunday after our 20 week ultrasound, after we knew that there were problems with our baby, but before we found out it was Down Syndrome and a heart defect, I prayed so hard that everything would just be okay. That there wouldn't be anything "wrong". In church that day one of the speakers talked about the women with the issue of blood that touched Jesus's robe, and was healed. I remember feeling like I had enough faith for my daughter to be healed. After we found out for sure it was Down Syndrome, and let it settle in, I knew everything would be okay. I had the thought that she wasn't just okay, like I had prayed, but she was perfect. She has already taught me more about life and love than I had learned in the first 25 years of my life. I am so thankful that I am so blessed to be her mother, what an honor.

14 comments:

Storys said...

You're making me cry! She is perfect! We can't wait to see her. Even Caedin is VERY excited to see her and you guys!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful post Jeana! She is perfect, ain't no doubt about that.

Kristin said...

Beautiful!

Scrappy quilter said...

What a sweet post for a precious little one. She is indeed perfect. Hugs..

Emily said...

I love that! So beautiful. Isn't it amazing how much these sweet ones can teach us in such a short amount of time...

traci miller said...

She is perfect and you are the PERFECT mom for her! You should write a book, you're good with words. :)

Stephanie said...

We do hold perfection in our arms, don't we. If only the world could realize that too.
Your words are beautiful.

Tausha said...

I am bawling and also stealing this for my blog. You are an amazing Mother.

Kimberly Larson said...

What a lovely post. Thank you for sharing! I am so glad that she is dressed in her cute pink attire! That means she has parents who are able to hold, cuddle and love her!

Ian said...

This is a very touching post--I loved it. I read it out loud to Ian. Very beautiful and she is a special and perfect little on.

BTW--This is Sheryl logged in as Ian

Amber said...

This is beautiful and so is your daughter! She IS perfect...God knows what He is doing!! :)

Thank you for sharing this...

Big hugs and Prayers sent to you,
Amber

Fig said...

I love her tiny little fingers poking out of her sleeve.

And I can tell you're a great mom.

Lauren said...

That is exactly the truth! What a blessing she will be to everyone who is blessed to know her!

My name is Sarah said...

This is Joyce. Such a beautiful post. Kaelyn is lucky to have such wonderful parents.