At our 20 week ultrasound we found out that Kaelyn is a girl, has a heart defect, was measuring small, and has down syndrome. Not exaclty the news that we were looking for. For the next 3 months we were trying to best prepare ourselves for what was to come. We knew that she would need a surgery to fix the defect in her heart and then later found out she would need one even sooner to fix her pulmonary artery. It seemed like with every doctor's appointment the outlook for little Kaelyn got worse and worse. But, we held strong and kept hoping for the best.
Eventually we were to the point that we were monitoring the progress of Kaelyn twice a week for about 4 1/2 weeks. Then, on Saturday June 13, 2009, Jeana woke up with some pretty bad abdominal pain. So, we rushed up to the hospital (normally a 45 minute drive.....I got us there in 30) and after a bunch of tests found out that Kaelyn needed to be born. We also found out that Jeana had a severe case of preecamplsia (that just appeared out of nowhere) along with a disease called HELLP (it messes with the liver and other stuff). The only way to get both is being pregnant and the only cure for both conditions is delivery of the baby. So, an emergency c-section was started and within an hour our baby girl was born.
We really had no idea what was going to happen with Kaelyn because of how small and early she was. So, we were extremely happy to hear that she was crying, breathing on her own, and stable in the NICU. Once she was stable, I got to leave Jeana on the operating table and go see Kaelyn. After a few pictures and some watery eyes, I went back to explain everything to Jeana while they finished sewing her up. After a little while Jeana was able to go see Kaelyn as well, only she was still in a hospital bed.
At birth Kaelyn was in the NICU at the University of Utah. Then on Friday she was transferred to the NICU at Primary Childrens. Almost every one , if not all, of the nurses that have cared for Kaelyn has told us that she is a "feisty one". We just smile with pride when they tell us that, because we know that is exactly what she needs to be. Hence the title of this blog.
I will be updating this blog as we get more information about how Kaelyn is doing. So please check back often and leave lots of comments. The biggest thing Kaelyn and we need are lots of prayers.
16 comments:
Hi! It's Jesse and Ashly. We wish you the best with your sweet little girl! I'm glad to hear she is doing so well considering the circumstances! We'll pray for her!
JD and I are glad to hear that things are still going well. We love you guys and you are in our thoughts and our prayers always! Hang in there. Love JD and Andrea
Zoey,another "feisty" one,mom Heather, here.To offer prayer and support and whatever else you might need.Be it from afar,but we are here.This community you will find in blogland, is amazing.Turn to them whenever,whatever time it is, and I promise you,someone,possibly a total stranger,will outstretch their hand with help.Faithful prayers for Miss Kaelyn continue.
Of course she's feisty, what do you think #47chrom is for, She's beautiful too.Well you have all our support and prayers.I agree with my friend above, someone is always around, welcome to the "family".
The previous comment was right on. The extra chromosome sure turns kids into fighters! We have had so many doctors tell us that actually having Ds helps our little ones fair so much better with operations and medical treatments. Kaelyn is in our prayers that each day she will get stronger and stronger and a day closer to coming home.
Gina, Hold on tight to the savior and trust in him and whatever happens know that he is always there for you and your darling husband and beautiful daughter. I hope for the best and please know that your sweet family is always is my prayers. Lots of love, Tony and Janis Hutcheon.
Thanks for the update on your sweet girl. When we went to the temple open house we ended up going on Friday instead of Saturday. I was only bummed about not seeing you guys since it was a week day - looks like you were busy Saturday anyway. Kaelyn is such a cutie. I know she can only have limited visitors, but I would love to come see you and get some lunch one day to take a break. P.S. I love the pic on your blog for Father's Day. Adorable.
We're glad she's here and will continue to pray for you all!
Hey Wayne and Jeana, we are praying for you guys and are so glad that things are going well with Kaelyn, she looks precious. Happy Father's Day!!! Love ya!
The Moore Family...the best childhood neighbors. :) ha ha.
I love the name of your blog. My first was a 'feisty one' too. Kelsi was 2 lb. preemie born 2 months early by emergency c-section because I had preeclamsia. She will be 21 this week. I hope you are both doing ok. That is a rough induction into parenthood. And I wish Sweet Kaelyn all the best.
I should have put my name since I used Jacey's username and password--Jenell Brimhall
Fiesty is definately good. We are praying for your sweet Kaelyn
Hello sweet Kaelyn, welcome to this world! To your parents, congrats to your beautiful daughter! I came here through Heathers blog and will be following your story and send you prayers.
Claudia
Congrats on your new arrival. Kaelyn is a beauty.
We've spent our share of time up at PCMC as well.
Sending lots of hugs and well wishes!
The first miracle is a beautiful little girl coming to live with two of the most wonderful people in the whole world. What a blessed family. Thanks for sharing your inspiring story with us. Love, Aunt Joyce Winterton
Wow, thank you for sharing your journey with us. As Heather said, the support in blogland is incredible. I found out at birth that Penny had Down syndrome and Tetrology of Fallot (but she is missing the pulmonary artery completely and needed surgery when she was days old) I was devestated, but I found so many people out there that were experiencing the same things as I was and it helped heal my heart that I was not alone. If there is anyway I can be of help let me know. Congratulations on the birth of your daughter!!!
Post a Comment